< Back to Help Desk Home
When do I get access to Blackboard?
Blackboard access is provided when you register for class. You can access your Blackboard class on the official first day of class.
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a Web-based course-management system designed to allow students and faculty to participate in classes delivered online or use online materials and activities to complement face-to-face teaching. Blackboard enables instructors to provide students with course materials, discussion boards, online quizzes, and more. The degree to which Blackboard is used in a course varies. For example, instructor may supplement an on-campus class by putting their syllabus and handouts on their course site. In contrast, other courses may be conducted entirely through Blackboard, without any on-campus sessions.
Blackboard is tied to Active Directory, so when a student registers for a class, the student's name will appear in the instructor's Blackboard course. Each term, every course that is put in Banner also has a Blackboard course created.
How do I sign on to Blackboard without going through the AUM website?
The URL address is: http://bb9.aum.edu.
When and how do I access my courses in Blackboard?
You will have access to your online courses on the first day of class and courses are located in Blackboard. You must login to Blackboard to access your courses.
How do I login to Blackboard?
Or, access Blackboard from the AUM home page:
- Select Student Life at the top of the AUM home page select Blackboard.
- Or, select the Blackboard link located on the AUM home page.
- Enter your username and password. (This is the same username and password you use to access your AUM email.) Click the Login button.
My password doesn’t work or I forgot my password, what do I do?
Contact the ITS Help Desk at AUM @ 334-244-3500
- Location: 2nd Floor Taylor Center
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. CT
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CT
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CT
- Sunday: 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. CT
- Hours during semester breaks: Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
When I login to Blackboard I get the message: Could not login. Valid authentication credentials were not provided. What do I do?
You are not using a current password when you login to Blackboard. If you don’t know or remember your password, call the Helpdesk to have your password reset.
When I login I get the message: An error occurred while the system was processing this login request.
This message means your username is not recognized in the system. You may have misspelled the username or it is an invalid username. If you do not know your username you can look it up using the E-mail Lookup link.
I'm a student. Can I change my name in Blackboard?
You cannot change your name through Blackboard. If your name and/or your student information have changed, contact the Registrar’s Office at 334-3125.
When I am in my Blackboard course some links don’t work or I can’t see some content.
This may mean your browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari) or internet options need updating.
- Make sure you have the current version of the browser. From the Log In page on Blackboard, you can check if your browser is properly configured by selecting the Check Browser button.
- Verify the browser has enabled Cookies and make sure the Pop-up Blocker is off.
I am having problems seeing and accessing content in Blackboard? What do I do?
This problem could be Java related. First, check if the latest version of Java is installed. Visit the Java website to download the latest version: http://www.java.com/en/download/inc/windows_upgrade_ie.jsp
Second, if you have the latest version of Java, clear your Java cache. Clearing the Java Plug-in cache forces the browser to load the latest versions of web pages and programs.
To clear your Java cache in Windows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Locate and double click the Java icon in the Control Panel.
- Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
- Click Delete Files.
- Select all boxes and click OK on Delete Temporary Files window. (Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.)
- Click OK on Temporary Files Settings window.
- Click OK to close the Java Control Panel.
To clear your Java cache in Mac OS X:
- Double click your Macintosh hard drive.
- Double click Applications.
- Double click Utilities.
- Double click Java Preferences.
- Click the Network tab.
- Click the Delete Files... button.
- You are prompted to delete your temporary files for Java. Make sure all boxes are selected with check marks. Click OK.
- Close the Java Preferences window.
I am in Backboard but it won’t let me add a discussion thread or submit an assignment. What do I do?
First, make sure you have the most current version of Java. Go to the Java site to verify the version on your computer and download an update if needed.
If the issue still exists, clear cache for your browser.
- For Firefox, go to Tools, select Clear Recent History…. Next to Time range to clear, select Everything and check all the boxes under Details. Click Clear Now.
- For Internet Explorer, go to Tools, select Delete Browsing History, check all boxes except the InPrivate Filtering data. Click Delete.
- For Safari, Click on Tools and select Reset Safari, select Empty the cache and Remove all cookies. Click Reset.
Why does Blackboard say Session not available?
If your instructor is using Blackboard this message typically means Blackboard is down any you do not have access your course. Should you get this message, verify that your computer is otherwise working properly and then call the Help Desk to verify if Blackboard is down. If your instructor is not
using Blackboard you will see this message should try to access the course.
Why am I not receiving email sent from Blackboard?
Since we use the official email@example.com
addresses for all students and staff for communication within or related to Blackboard, you should make sure that you check your account regularly.
Can I change my email address in Blackboard?
Blackboard only uses the official firstname.lastname@example.org
address. Routing messages to other email accounts is not permitted. Be sure to check your email@example.com
I am not able to attach a file to an assignment and My Computer shows an X.
This happens when the Java is not able to run. Close the browser window and open it again. A Java Security dialog box should appear. Select Always Run or Run
. Do not select Cancel or close the dialog box.
I can’t find the syllabus, tests, or discussions in the course? Where are they?
It could be the course menu is hidden. To show the course menu select the Show Course Menu
To hide the course menu, select Hide Course Menu
In Blackboard, I'm having difficulty using the Wimba Classroom Tools. What can I do?
The Wimba Classroom Tools suite is a third party software package that AUM licenses annually. As part of our contract, Wimba provides 24 hour, seven day a week training and technical support.
In Blackboard, how do I access course sites from previous semesters?
Once course sites from past semesters have been made unavailable, you will need to contact the instructor of the course in question to regain access.
How do I contact my instructor in Blackboard?
The easiest way to get in touch with your instructor is by sending an email or message through the course site. Once you are in the specific course site, click Email
from the course menu.
- If sending an Email, select All Instructor Users, type your message and click Submit.
- If sending a Message, click Create Message, click To and select the recipient, type your message and click Submit.
I keep getting an error message when I try to upload a file to my Blackboard course. How do I fix this?
Blackboard does not allow file names with spaces and special characters. When naming any file for Blackboard upload, follow these guidelines.
Use the following in your filenames:
- Letters (ABCabc...)
- Numbers (0123456789)
- Underscores ( _ )
- Document File Extension (Always include the document file extension, such as .doc or .pdf)
Avoid the following:
- Special characters ( '! @ # $ % ^ & * etc. ')
- Spaces (While technically supported, it is best to avoid spaces)
- Long File Names (Limit file name character length to 60 characters or less)
How do I navigate Blackboard?
Blackboard provides two ways to navigate through the course: the course menu
- The course menu is located on the left and contains links directly to course content, discussion, assessments, collaboration, communication, grades, and course tools, to name a few. The links vary from course to course.
- Breadcrumbs, located above the course page and next to the course name, shows the path you followed after clicking a course menu link. The breadcrumb lists the pages title links you accessed.